"Gaming" Laptop

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Grim[], Jun 13, 2016.

1. Grim[]

Grim[] GRIND CS:GO

I've been considering for a while now to buy a new laptop since the one i current have can't run CS at 120 fps stable with smokes 'n' shit and after playing in my desktop i can't imagine me trying to play in this laptop in this laptop anymore.

I want to ask in general members of WASP that have or had gaming laptops what do they use and what are their preferences or what to look for mostly in a gaming laptop, my brother used to have an Alienware m17x but after 3 years of use it started malfunctioning so i kinda hesitate to blindly buy a gaming laptop that seems nice to me.

Cheers and thanks for your time.

2. Seadee

Seadee Chaotic Good Community Manager

3. Grim[]

There's no way to avoid it then ah ? :sweatsmile:
    Cheers

4. Raikou

Raikou Well-Known Member APB Citadel CS:GO

I used to play games on my laptop, the only thing I can say is, I'm so happy with my PC right now.. :')
    I think MSI has some good gaming laptop at the moment, just make sure you have some kind of cooler or platform for under your laptop due to overheating and stuff. I still wouldn't recommend going for a gaming laptop, just build your own PC it's cheaper and stronger. With the money you have left you can buy yourself a cheap laptop to travel if the old one gave up.

5. Gwadien

Gwadien Registered User

Why not just buy a desktop? I mean I know you have one in Greece, so therefore you don't need to take a laptop back with you so just buy a desktop and then sell it when you go back to Greece permanently (unless you actuslly want a job ofc) I would be far more cost effective.

I know this because I was looking at desktops and laptops for my housemate and I always knew that laptops were over priced but sticking 300 on top of like £600 simply to make it portable? Nah.

6. Grim[]

The thing is i do not really know if I'm gonna stay in UK or get back in Greece so it's like not knowing where i'm gonna be the next 2-3 years.

I would buy a desktop without a second thought but since i'm in Sunderland and may end up working in London or somewhere near i can't be bothered carrying a desktop around with me, I also need a laptop to have around with me in University so a desktop wouldn't be so convenient.

7. Seadee

you will have to fork out about £3k then for a decent gaming laptop...

8. Grim[]

I do believe that's an exaggeration, I could easily buy a desktop and a neat laptop with that money :gbp::gbp::gbp::gbp::gbp:

9. ffy

ffy Useless and Annoying PlanetSide 2

Well, unless you're gonna buy a really old laptop you probably won't get any useful info on that front. Unless we have some time travellers in the community, in which case please contact me yesterday!

10. Gwadien

Gwadien Registered User

My housemate got a nvidia 750 with a i5 for £700, and iirc my nvidia 770 is about 4 times better than the 750 (according to bench marks) and was roughly a similar price to his laptop - so you'll get a desktop x4 as good, and with new technologies; they're always more expensive in laptops than they are desktops and it takes a much longer time for the prices to go down I think the cheapest 950 one we could find was just over a grand or so.

My advice? Wait for the new graphic cards to be released, nvdia or amd, they're ridiculously cheap and good, get a desktop, and you'll still make a fair amount of money IF you decide to sell up in the future - or put in a lan case for ez transportation.

Gaming laptops are just shit really, please don't do it, you're bad enough as it is.

11. Seadee

12. Xplicit

Xplicit Member

Heard the new razer laptop is actually preety good.has a 970m ,slim and not to heavy,really good unpluged autonomy (4-5h of constant play) but its around $2.4k .Its really hard to get something that will last in the future for not to much money. From what i know the allienware laptops are upgradable so that is a huge plus.
    Edit: i have been gaming on a $1k "gaming laptop" for the last 4 years and after the first 2 year games already got to demanding.On the long run buying one is not such a good investment.A decent office laptop and a pc that you can upgrade whenever you get money is the right way to go.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
    Gwadien likes this.
  13. Gwadien

Gwadien Registered User

I've already preached to him - I -may- have convinced him.

His argument was that he might move back to Greece in 3-4 years time, also he didn't want a Desktop due to needing something to take to Uni.

I swiftly and easily put him down with the following responses;

- If you buy a gaming laptop it will be redundant within 3-4 years time, so you'll want a new one to take to Greece anyway - Just buy a Desktop and sell up when you move - it won't be -completely- redundant in 3-4 years time if he's going to spend £800 on it.

- You can buy a desktop for half the price with the same spec - so buy a shit laptop to take to Uni with you for about £100 and he'll save £300 on that spec, OR buy a better desktop.

Seadee likes this.
  14. TonyCocktus

TonyCocktus Member

Damn im late but if i were you consider the gaming series from Clevo.
    The Reason why is because they can be upgraded easily and they using desktop CPU's and maybe (august)
    120 hz Panels and GPU strong as the Desktop Versions from Nvidia.
    btw mine is a clevo aswell so take a look.
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Notebookcheck-s-Top-10-Gaming-Notebooks.98628.0.html
    They have different names like Schenker or i dunno in the uk, do some research by yourself but i can tell you that they are worth it.

15. Neez

Neez Active Member APB Jericho

I have a lenovo Y50 with a core i7 and geforce 860. The current iteration is the Y700 with a geforce 960. The laptop is nice and slim, and runs relatively cool. Just make sure you download a program called "Throttle Stop", to make sure your CPU is running at max multiplier all the time.

This is more of a midrange gaming laptop, but for a full fledged gaming laptop, you'll need to spend $2k+.

Personally, if you were worried about travel, i'd just build a small mini ITX computer for my TV with a core i5, SSD and a midrange graphics card, like the up and coming AMD RX480($200). Could be done for less than $600, and then just get a wireless keyboard and mouse. This case would be the smallest PC possible, but it's $230 euro just for the case and doesn't start shipping until december:

instead of carrying it on a plane, just ship the small computer to your family in Greece. Shouldn't cost terribly much as long as britain doesn't exit the EU.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  16. Venrail

Venrail Jericho WASP APB Jericho

I got a sager laptop, bought in end of 2012, cost me around 3000 USD inc. everything.

I7 - 3740QM @ 2.7GHz
    16GB 1600MHz RAM
    2x 7970m CrossFire 4GB
    256GB SSD
    750GB HDD

Here are pros and cons.

PROS
    - Runs everything perfectly, I don't recommend AMD as it gave me a lot of technical troubles, but even that, still running Witcher 3, GTA 5 on high graphics, other games on ultra.
    - Portable, I use its portability 2~3 times per year, not more. But when I need to take it somewhere its possible.

CONS
    - In no way you can competitively game outside of your house, I use my laptop 95% of the time at home, where I have a separate monitor,mouse,keyboard and stuff. Playing competitively outside home is ridiculous.
    - I did buy the best build at its time, people say you can upgrade it, but to get a 10~15% boost performance you will spend at least 800$, as laptops don't *JUMP* ahead too much, and buying separate parts isn't cheap nor easy to find.
    - You can't use the battery, it will die quickly, performance will drop (battery isn't powerful enough to use SLI/CF for example)

If you take me back in time and give me the choice again, I will buy a PC.

Akumaka, Neez and Rabbit like this.
  17. Tribu

Tribu Not a new member

I play most games with my laptop when on the move or at work... Asus G501JW Its the slim model so would not buy it for my only gaming PC. But i belive it is possible and there is some new laptops with real 980 in them.

18. Meraun

Meraun Jinxster and a decent sprayer and prayer Game Night

You play games wihle you work? wtf

19. TonyCocktus

TonyCocktus Member

The Msi and clevo have one i wanted one but they announced new laptops with native 5ms 120 hz panels and a 1070 and 1080 (m) as next step

20. Tribu

Tribu Not a new member

Yeah tell me about it its fucking nuts isent it? Tho to be honest it isent any different from watching youtube or facebook while you work and i bet most ppl at office do just that.