PC Build advice

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Xplicit, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Sentinel

Sentinel APB Citadel Division Support Officer Support Officer APB Citadel

Ahh got it!

Comrade Vodka likes this.
  2. Crusa

Crusa Misuki's Master CS:GO

on CS you'd want as many fps as you can get, think i get close to stable 450-500 on dust2 while i get 200-300 on Inferno, if you make a pro play on a pc that drops to under 200 they're gonna cry about it. And when i went from a 3.4 ghz cpu to my current 4.3 ghz i got an extra 20-30fps.
    His own example, also the GTX 770 is actually the recommended gpu for Witcher 3, atleast on steam :smiley:

3. Comrade Vodka

Comrade Vodka Zerky is bae | Support/Rifler for Team Chrysis CS:GO

Still 100% irrelevant to take an exception and use it as an example for the norm

1. Pros complain very quickly
    2. A 26% OC for a 4% fps boost. Bruh

Any self-respecting person that is looking for a pc to play games ignores every recommendation. Some games still have AMD FX CPU's in recommended. Top keks for that one

4. Crusa

I'm using CS as an example because if you look carefully you can see that Xplicit is part of the CS:GO division and probably likes to play CS alot
    ??

i'm talking about my APB fps, which went from stable 70ish to 90-110ish

5. Comrade Vodka

Comrade Vodka Zerky is bae | Support/Rifler for Team Chrysis CS:GO

You're still calling 3 GHz low by using CS and APB as examples. That's what I'm calling out as irrelevance.

You didn't exactly make that clear ;p.

6. AlexSlesh

AlexSlesh MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER SERGEANT PERSON! APB Citadel

My advice - never get PSU less than 600 watts. At the very least get 550w, but 600w is the most optimal. With PSU the more watts - the better, however too much isn't good either, because it will waste power. And don't listen smartasses, who say "just use 400w, 300w, 150w, its pefectly good, man". Modern gaming PC consume about 400-450w at top load, and extra power in PSU will prevent it from overheating and will protect your components from random voltage spikes.
    Also, i3 is not a gaming processor, it has only 2 cores and some games will not even work without 4 cores processor. My advice is to buy used i5, its a safe thing to do, because processors breaks very rarely, almost never. So yeah, some used i5 from past generations, but with "K" index, its important, overclock it over 4 Ghz and it will serve you very well.
    Im not the best expert in PC components, but I know some shit, so if you have questions, you can ask me.

7. clarry

clarry Well-Known Member APB Citadel

[​IMG]

8. TheDesertFox

TheDesertFox Chaotic Lawful DotA 2

Captain Curry, clarry and ItsJESUS like this.
  9. Marrv

Marrv Member

When I built my pc the i5 information was correct, since then games seem to be less optimising themselves so i7's have become recommended in specs, furthermore the only real reason to take an i5 over an i7 these days is if your budgetary constrained (I saw CS:GO mentioned but would throw this out there as no-one really wants to build an out of date pc surely?)

PSU's, the rating is the MAXIMUM they can provide, stably. (what I think Fox, and clarry are alluding to above) if your PC hardware only draws 400w the PSU is only going to use 400w (+ whatever the PSU's actual draw is). Having a 1000w psu when your drawing 400w is "future proofing" to an extent but mostly is just an unnecessary cost as it is not needed.
    "Also the extra capacity preventing over-heating"? - that is why you stick with well known brands and ideally gold or above ratings, they are stable voltages and do not have those issues. If you buy sub standard parts you will have that issue, your wattage rating wont give you a safe operation overhead....

AlexSlash; you seem to have failed on the basic principles of electronics, a PSU wont consume power between the draw from the system & its maximum W rating....

The "k is only important" if your overclocking, if your not going to overlock the "K" is irrelevant. The "k" series means the processor is unlocked so you can overlock, OP has not indicated in either capacity.

OP - as others have mentioned before, you have incompatibility issues arising, use a site like http://pcpartpicker.com/ to check the parts are compatible (it will remove them from the options if they are not). Also it will give you a wattage estimation so you know the minimum PSU Wattage rating you need. You will want more than the minimum naturally but gives a guide to start at.

For exact components, that can be debated til the sun burns out, the guys above seem, mostly, to know what they are talking about. Rabbit I think swears by logical increments site, personally I dislike it and prefer to look up benchmarks independently (but that is more work).

Sorry for long post, but bad information is worse than none, thus the post.

TheDesertFox likes this.
  10. Crusa

How did you connect csgo with outdated??

a good csgo pc will be capable of running alot of newer games just fine :smiley:

11. AlexSlesh

AlexSlesh MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER SERGEANT PERSON! APB Citadel

What? You one of smartasses? Or you just dont know shit about it?
    Yes, I am serious. And you obviously don't know shit about it. Here you go -
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus
    Every PSU will waste about 20% of it consumed energy. And with greater difference between it max load capacity and it actual load, the greater the percentage of wasted energy.
    I know what K means. And it is important, because overclocking is important. I overclocked my i5 from 3.4 Ghz to 4.2 Ghz and it gave around 20 additional fps in Fallout 4 and more stable fps in APB. And the great part of overclocking is that you can turn it on and off when you want. I think it's totally woth some additional money over standard version of precessor.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  12. ItsJESUS

ItsJESUS cluck cluck do you know da wae APB Citadel

@clarry you don't know shit about computers [​IMG]

13. rooq

rooq APB Citadel Division Commander Division Commander APB Citadel

Clarry gave me supernatural abilities through his hardware advice.

14. aedn

aedn son of god (FilmAPB) Division Officer APB Citadel APB Jericho

DEUTSCHLAND PRODUCTION AIMBOTTEN

15. Marrv

Marrv Member

I didn't. I saw CS GO was mentioned before thus referred to it there as it is not the most demanding of games either. The outdated comment was more generic, when building a new rig you dont want to build it so that it is outdated from the get go. Should have used a full stop instead of the "but" maybe. Grammar is not my forte.

Which is only valid if OP overclocks, if he does not or has no intention of doing, as OP has made no indication as to his/her preference it is valid to state that the "k" series is only of use if you OC. I agree it is worth doing if your happy to do it, if you have no intention of doing it is is a waste of money.

TheDesertFox likes this.
  16. Crusa

Well sure it's easy to get say 60 fps or even 144 fps in csgo, but if you're building a pc to run csgo you'd want atleast a stable 250-300+ fps on all maps, which is quite demanding to the point where a pc that can handle that can also handle alot of other games just fine :smiley: though i don't blame you for not knowing this if you don't really play the game :tongueout:

Marrv likes this.
  17. Seadee

Seadee Chaotic Good Community Manager

Initial release date: 21 August 2012

and the fact that you can run the game at 250+ fps would highly suggest it is old and less demanding software...

:skeletonbait:

18. Crusa

Nah

19. clarry

clarry Well-Known Member APB Citadel

For the love of god - you're embarassing yourself. You're applying your percentage to the maximum power rating, not the actual load. Also, noticable inefficiency with regard to maximum load happens at low loads so unless you have about a 3000W PSU for a system that pulls 500W under load , this is completely irrelevant.

And the 20% figure is clearly wrong beause it doesn't apply to 80+ power supplies. (Have you ever thought about what 80+ stands for?)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  20. Sentinel

Sentinel APB Citadel Division Support Officer Support Officer APB Citadel

I dont know about Alex but I am genuinely interested to know more. Here is what wiki says about 80+ "it certifies products that have more than 80% energy efficiency at 20%, 50% and 100% of rated load"

So what is rated load? The large numbers on your PSU that reads "650W"? is that 'rated load'? If so, does it mean that product is more than 520W efficient at 130W , 325W and 650W load?