PC Build advice

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Xplicit, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Crusa

Crusa Misuki's Master CS:GO

im assuming that its the same as e.g. CPU/GPU load.

And some of the energy gets lost when its converted inside the PSU, 80 Plus basically means you dont lose more than 20%, and the better certification the less energy is lost. I've also read that gold certified psu's generate less heat than say bronze certified psu's, not sure if that is true though.

2. clarry

clarry Well-Known Member APB Citadel

If you discard the cheap power supplies that put bogus numbers on there, then yes, the rated load will be whatever it says on the chart on the sticker.

Efficiency in a power supply means the ratio between the power the load consumes (i.e. the hardware connected to the supply) and the power the PSU actually draws from your power outlet. (I.e. how much power is wasted converting 110 or 230V AC to 12/5/3.3V DC)

If your hardware pulls 400W, and the PSU uses 500W from the outlet, that means exactly 80% efficiency.

For a 650W and an 80+ Gold certified supply, and assuming a 115V AC line, this means the following:

At 20% (130W) load, it must not pull more than 149.43W from the outlet (87% efficiency)
    At 50% (325W) load, it must not pull more than 361.11W from the outlet (90% efficiency)
    At 100% (650W) load, it must not pull more than 747.12W from the outlet (87% efficiency)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    Sentinel likes this.
  3. Sentinel

Sentinel APB Citadel Division Support Officer Support Officer APB Citadel

So if your hardware is pulls 500W at full load, it is a minimum requirement to have a PSU of alteast 625W (in theory at least) ?
    Also how do you decide the 87% / 90% efficiency, is that the difference between Gold / Bronze Certified?

4. clarry

No, 500W load requires a 500W power supply. You're confusing the load with the actual power draw. It just means that in case of 80+ gold certification, at 500W load, it will draw no more than 574W from your power outlet (if 500W is its rated load)

No, those are the specifications for the 80+ Gold standard:

[​IMG]

Here you can see all of them.

5. Crusa

Crusa Misuki's Master CS:GO

clarry my man, is the heat thing true tho

6. clarry

To a certain degree, yes. Heat means wasted energy.

Crusa likes this.
  7. AlexSlesh

AlexSlesh MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER SERGEANT PERSON! APB Citadel

Have you? It is called "80+", not "87+", not "93+". So when I said "about 20%", I was "about" right.
    Also, I don't love god.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  8. clarry

Those are the specifiactions of the different norms. Argue the name, these are the hard figures. With bronze upwards on 230V it's factually 15% or less wasted energy, less than 12% on half load. That's a considerable difference from 20%. You can argue all you want, both statements you made in this quote were either wrong or unapplicable:

And let's not forget that your recommendation to always get 600W or higher is complete and utter bullshit. You can get 600W power supplies that'll fill your face with sparks and flames if you attempt to pull half that. To get higher than 400W of power draw you need a modern i7 AND a GTX 980 upwards, both on 100% load. No way a system on his budget is ever, ever going to come close to that.

Just let it go. Once you realize you're talking to an engineer who knows how power supplies operate at a technical level, you're going to look like a massive clot. Even more massive than you already are by accusing me and Fox of not knowing jack shit.

(PS: Nice edit history on your last post. Guess you weren't that right after all? :wink: )

9. AlexSlesh

AlexSlesh MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER SERGEANT PERSON! APB Citadel

I would've argue with that, because you didn't take into account AMD, but whatever.
    Post some more funneh memes, you're good at it.

Ok, "jerk" was too much of a joke, you may not understand it, removed.
    Anyway, I had fun with your tl;dr, see ya.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  10. Neez

Neez Active Member APB Jericho

To simplify things, power supplies are most efficient at 50% load. So a 1000watt power supply will give the most efficiency at 500watts of load. The 80+ certification just means it'll give 80% efficieny no matter the load on the power supply. But within 80+ certification, they have bronze, silver gold, platinum and titanium.

Bottom line, we're just talking about efficiency. If electricity is expensive in your country, do the math and you can figure out the savings. But here in the states, going beyond an 80+ bronze/silver doesn't make too much financial sense, because the supplies get very expensive, and the return on investment is so freaking long.

The electrical rate in my area is about 10cents per KWH. So if my computer uses 500watts, and i'm at 80% efficiency. Then i'm consuming 625watts from the wall. So every 8 hours is 1 KWH of just losses, or 10 cents per 8 hours. If you're a heavy gamer, doing it 40 hours per week. Then it's a loss of 50 cents per week, or roughly $2.00 per month, or $24 per year. So yea, in about 4-5 years, you'll break even if you get a 80+ Titanium power supply. Then you'll start saving money, assuming the supply doesn't die.

The other thing to consider is that more efficient power supplies produce less heat, many can keep their fans turned off if you keep the load low enough. In the case of my 80+ gold seasonic X850, if I can keep the load below 30%, then the fan will stay completely off, which gave me the incentive to buy a higher wattage power supply since it's in my bedroom.

11. Neez

I'm curious about your monitor selection (LED AOC I2369VM 23 inch 5ms silver monitor).

I'm worried that the IPS monitor will be too slow for gaming. I have a high end VA (like IPS) ASUS MG279Q monitor, which does extrememly well in gaming, but I also have a samsung IPS monitor which I used initially and it sucks in gaming. The ghosting pixels are bad for your eyes. I do alot of photo editing, which is why I use IPS monitors, but i'd consider a good TN panel in that price range if you do alot of gaming. Some TN panels are approaching viewing angles and color spectrum of IPS panels, but with much better pixel response. Unfortunately you can't go by the pixel response time listed by the manufacturer. In my experience with a few IPS monitors, the spec doesn't mean crap.

12. FragMeister

FragMeister New Member APB Citadel

wait for Ryzen 5 and RX 500 series. hardly a week more to go. Since you are building a budged PC, dont spend much on Case and PSU. 400W is all you need. ill give u partpicker list next week.

13. Xplicit

Xplicit Member

thank you a bunch for the advice guys , i ended up buying the 8gb rx480 ,8gb ram and a pentium g4560 as a placeholder for a couple of months untill i get the money for a i5 .Got a free sink 24" LG monitor that works wonderful with the gpu. Although the CPU is not that strong the bottleneck isnt that bad .Everything i have tested works on 1080 ulta 60+fps .You guys helped me a lot.The source is a 550 but comes from a no name brand so i'll probably have to change that in a while. Aaaand i know that the case shouldn't really matter but i couldn't help myself on buying a nzxt 340 elite , this is just beautiful and the wire management was ez pz even though it was my first build ever.And this is the final product .I'll add a 1tb hdd and a non stock cpu cooler on the next salary.Again , thank's everyone for the advice , it was very helpfull
    edit : oh and a b250 as rock mobo that supports crossfire in case i'll add another rx480 in the future

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  14. Neez

I wouldn't worry about the cheap power supply, just run it until it dies. Even if the efficiency is bad, it'll be several years of electricity before it'll break even to buy a new supply.