Star Citizen free access for the weekend

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/

1. Rabbit

Rabbit Lawful Neutral Community Manager APB Citadel

2. IonHawk

IonHawk Member

There is actually quite a bit in the game to see now, I will say that when it works properly I am having more fun than I did with Elite. That is when it works. It usually does, but the FPS can get to horrible levels due to lack of networking efficiency.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  3. Glenfiddich

Glenfiddich Old Man

Great! Gonna download it tonight see what it's like.

4. IonHawk

IonHawk Member

I will be a bit more clear and say that I find it more enjoyable than Elite, but more because you can now start to realise what is forming. The missions are a lot more engaging, the world is starting to feel alive. And it doesn't feel like it is just procedural, it feels handcrafted, like it is trying to tell a story. I don't think it is worth playing more than 2-3 hours though. Doesn't feel worth it to invest more time considering how much will change in the future.

Seadee likes this.
  5. Glenfiddich

Glenfiddich Old Man

So I installed it and after faffing about trying to figure out how to get into a game I did (seriously, wtf is that number-pad for?) I got onto a planet, tried to figure out how to turn off vsync (it was capped at 30fps), couldn't find an option for it, and the motion blur was making me seasick.

Turned my graphics down low, still had 30fps and ridiculous motion blur. I went oustide the building, got 20 FPS there. Wandered about on the planet trying to find something, anything, to interact with (let alone find out how to get a ship), or find any semblance of a tutorial. Managed to clip through a wall into a void I couldn't get out of, managed to somehow warp back into the level. Wandered around more looking for something to interact with, no-one in chat would help me (they all seemed to be French) and then the game crashed.

If I were them I'd wait until the game was in a more stable state before giving people free access to it. That was an utterly atrocious experience.

6. IonHawk

IonHawk Member

What they really need to do is make it clearer what the different gamemodules are. It sounds like you went to the planetside one which is probably the least completed one at the moment. Right now the game is modular, if you want a more complete gameplay experience you should go to either Arena Commander in "Electronic Access" or Port Olisar in "Universe".

But you are absolutely right, that particular module is not a great experience. (And granted, the other modules are buggy and sometimes completely broken, but at least they can be fun)

Are you fine with me quoting your post to try to make sure they finally listen and change those names which(unless you know the lore) make 0 sense?

7. Glenfiddich

Glenfiddich Old Man

Go for it. I might try pressing some of the other buttons on the main menu tomorrow and see what they do.

8. Rabbit

Rabbit Lawful Neutral Community Manager APB Citadel

Go into Universe.

You'll spawn in a bedroom. Put on your space suit or die in the airlock.

Go outside and find a big room with a hologram of a planet. On the monitors there you can spawn a ship. It will tell you where it's docked. Follow the signs and get out of the airlock. You should be able to find your ship.

As for fps and blur, you'll need to edit configuration files. The game really IS in alpha. It's not a promotion that EA does while calling something "open beta" or whatever.

It's not optimized yet, the netcode is being completely replaced. Currently your client is receiving tons of data about ships and players thousands of kilometers away, so your system is struggling.

It's all still being worked on, the alpha is there to give the backers an idea of where it's going, and to test and review systems as they become available.

9. Meraun

Meraun Jinxster and a decent sprayer and prayer Game Night

hmm i might jump in as well and see how my ships are doing

10. StukaRT

StukaRT Well-Known Member Tarkov

You can fly quite a few ships atm to test them. Most notably the Starfarer, all the Hornets, Sabre, all 3 Avengers and some more...