Video Splitter (Want to create highlight reels? Read!)

Discussion in 'Media' started by clarry, Jul 3, 2016.

1. clarry

clarry Well-Known Member APB Citadel

Hi,

I've actually wanted to make this thread for a while...

This is a video splitter I wrote which automates parameterized calls to a tool called FFMPEG to losslessly extract highlights from recordings of any size. It can be used to easily extract certain bits for highlight reels without having to split them yourself in your editing software! :smiley:

The name of it is MP4split but since it uses ffmpeg it can be used for any container format really. The output is always MP4 though because of complicated technical limitations I am a lazy bum and hardcoded it :neutral:

DAUNLOAD

STEP 1: Unpack the zip file into the directory with your recordings.

[​IMG]

STEP 2: Make a highlight list!

[​IMG]

As you can see, the format is really easy to remember.

First comes the file name of the video you want to split content from, and then comes a list of highlights.

H:MM:SS - H:MM:SS <name>

Not using this scheme will not work and probably sets your PC on fire. Don't do that :tongueout:

STEP 3: Save this list as a text file into the same directory.

[​IMG]

STEP 4: Drag the text file onto mp4split.exe and wait for it to disappear!

[​IMG]

Done!

The recordings can now be found in a subfolder named after the text file containing the list!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Have fun with this :smiley:

-clarry

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    rooq, aedn, Cerviel and 3 others like this.
  2. clarry

clarry Well-Known Member APB Citadel

Bump!

Links are working again and the package has been updated to include the latest ffmpeg (fmpeg-20170731-b664d1f-win64).

In other news:

New tool "videocut"

This tool basically does the exact opposite as mp4split. It cuts the specified sections *out* of the input file:

Code:
    test123.mkv
    0:01:00 - 0:02:00
    This will cut out the second minute of the file test123.mkv, and save the whole thing sans that minute to a new file "filtered\test123.mkv". It will create the "filtered" folder where the original file is.

Works well with mkv files, should work for mp4s and such, too.

Videocut, like mp4split, does not re-encode, so it's pretty fast. Unfortunately ffmpeg's concat filter isn't perfect so there might be issues.

DOWNLOAD VIDEOCUT
    DOWNLOAD MP4SPLIT

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  3. Severin

Severin Registered User

I also have a tool a friend of mine made, does the same thing (cuts out pieces of a video file using ffmpeg):

There are also other tools, such as a tool to control vibrance and turn off extra monitors when gaming, disk cleaning tool and a few others. It's just a hobby of mine.

DOWNLOADS IN HERE

Maybe more will come, maybe not.