WLAN question for the bigger computer nerds here

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by wasp.Peter_Lustiger, Jun 3, 2020.

1. wasp.Peter_Lustiger

wasp.Peter_Lustiger QQ Bob DotA 2

So, I'm moving in a bigger flat, with 2,5 rooms instead of just the one I'm sitting in right now. I just noticed that in the room where I want to set up my pc there is no telephone line plug in the wall, and I don't want to put a long cable through the whole flat - so a WLAN solution is probably it. I already have a good router in my current flat that works well with my PS4, the only TCP/IP-cable connection is to the PC itself. I probably can buy some kind of WLAN receiver for my desktop pc to avoid a lot of cable mileage. Do you have any recommendations what would be a good receiver? Or should I avoid that at all costs because in your experience you always get shitty connections like that and I need to rethink in which room I place my desktop pc?

2. VLindemann

VLindemann I'm the Juggernaut, Bitch. DotA 2

If the wlan receiver was included on your mobo i would say go for it but the cable is and always will be the best connection there is.You might get ping spikes packet losses with wlan connection especially with a cheap usb wireless stick receiver

If you are really desperate for wlan look into PCI-E cards

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  3. Fazel

Fazel New Member APB Jericho

Yea you are better off just buying a cable and dragging it through the wall. I had a wireless receiver for $50 and it was good for like the first few weeks. After that it went to shit. I would lose internet randomly, get 500 ping even though no one was using the internet. My router was in the next room over and it was complete shit. Once I moved to cable I have not lost internet once or got any lag spikes. IF you have an option to move your router to the room you want your desktop or to drag a LAN cable through the wall then i highly recommend that because it will save you time, money, and anger.